Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Support Local Producers



I have decided to buy my eggs for Mr. Mustache Bread from a local farmer. Chickens who are raised on small family farms have eggs that are different from those you buy at the grocery store. When a chicken is allowed to roam and peck at the ground, it eats things like bugs and grains that help produce nutritious eggs. Farm eggs are low in fat and high in beta-carotene and omega-3.

Another reason I have decided to buy local eggs is because I want to support local businesses. Wal-mart eggs are shipped all the way from Minnesota (just be glad it isn’t Texas).  We waste energy and resources when we transport eggs long distances.  Isn't it better to save resources and at the same time  support local businesses?  After all, I am a local business.

I wasn’t just thinking about people when I made my decision. I really like chickens. They’re funny when they baulk around moving their necks back and fourth, wattle shaking. They are social with each other, but very timid around people. My friend and I like to stomp our feet and watch them scatter. When they try to fly, they wave their wings and then plummet to the ground. They seem like nice birds and I think they have a better life on a small family farm than they do in the factories.
Whitney's chickens
Don't they look happy?

But here’s the catch. My egg supplier, Whitney, can’t produce eggs as inexpensively as Wal-mart. If I commit to buying local eggs, I will spend ten cents more per loaf on ingredients. Is it worth it? I think so.

1 comment: