Sunday, November 27, 2011

First Year Bread Anniversary


On November 21st, I celebrate my first year anniversary.  I can’t believe I’ve been making delicious loaves of bread for a whole year now.  Many of you have turned from customers to friends.  You, my friends, have been so forgiving of my mistakes and have been the perfect connoisseurs of my bread.   Thank you!

When I first started, I barely knew anything about bread.  It was always, "Obey the recipe, and it will turn out all right."  I now understand the chemistry of bread and could probably invent my own!  I gained much of this knowledge through reading about a great baker named James Beard.  He inspired me to become a baker.  I thought that I could be kind of like his successor by having a bread business that had to do with facial hair (his last name was Beard).   That is why I chose Mr. Mustache as my name.  I started off selling one type of bread, a basic whole-wheat loaf that was my family’s staple.  Slowly I expanded to over ten varieties, while avoiding mediocrity.




 I hope that next year my bread taste even better.  I want to continue to make artisan bread that is superior to anything else you can find anywhere.  I hope that each loaf of Bread by Mr. Mustache makes you happy and gives you an elegant feel for fine baked goods.

For the love of good bread,
 Mr. Mustache



For every loaf of Mr. Mustache Bread you buy, fifty cents goes to my Uncle Brad.  He is a missionary in Uganda.  The last few weeks Brad has been visiting his family in the States.  It was great to see him and to hear his stories.  He's sure living an interesting and rewarding life.



Next week I will be giving away five necklaces from Uganda that my Uncle Brad brought home.   If you order the 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, or 50th loaf of bread, you win a necklace!  I wish I had enough necklaces to give every single customer!


Here is a little bit about these necklaces (2 of them are different than the ones described here):

The necklaces are "crafted by women of the Karimojong tribe through Amazima's vocational program, each bead is made of recycled magazine paper, threaded along with mini glass beads, and sealed with a beautiful finish.  Take a piece of Africa with you as you display these vibrant colors around your neck, knowing that your purchase employed a hard-working woman in Uganda. In addition, all proceeds from Amazima's necklace sales support the feeding of 1,600 children.  When you purchase this necklace, you create jobs, feed hungry children, and receive a stunning piece of jewelry--a win/win for all!"  (From Amazima Webpage).  



No comments:

Post a Comment